Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Performing at Bonden Bar

The day after Valentine's Day I was booked to perform at Bonden Bar, at Burlesqueer's event Swinging Valentine! One of the organizers - Pippi - had asked me to do my Diamonds are Forever number, but to a different piece of music - the aria Voi che sapete from Mozart's opera The Marriage of Figaro. 

Photo: Fanny Kellerman

Pippi sang the piece herself, and on piano we had Erik. I love performing to live music - and in this case song too! The funny thing about this though, was that the whole number - including the very ballety costume I wear when I come out on stage - looked so classical that the audience didn't really expect me to start stripping in the middle of it...

Photo: Fanny Kellerman

When I unhooked my tulle skirt and let it fall to the ground, I heard some surprised "wohoos", and also one "oh YES!!!" Haha! After that I swiftly skipped backstage to change pasties, because I was also going to premiere my new number Arabian Nights that evening.


As you can hear from the name of the act, my costume is inspired by Arabian stories, and is made of black, transparent fabric and dark red and golden Swarovski crystals and beads. Above are the pieces of clothing I'm left with after taking off the rest!


And a closeup of the pasties! I love making these costumes, and spending hours decorating them crystal by crystal!


So when my music - Beauty Beats by Beats Antique - starts, I go out on stage. And the first thing I notice is I can't balance on the tip of one of my pointe shoes because there is something wobbly there! At that moment it's too late to do anything about it, and I don't even want to ruin my performance by looking down to see what was wrong. But I just continued and did most of the choreography without actually getting up on my tip toes as much as I was supposed to. Since I'm a perfectionist the fact that I couldn't do it the way it should have been done annoyed me a lot! But none of my friends had seen anything that looked weird when I danced though. I guess they were too busy looking at my boobs to notice what was going on down at my feet...Anyway. As you can see in the picture above, one of the little crocheted thingys I had sewn on the tip of the shoes (to make them last longer, and make the shoes less slippery) had gotten loose on one side and bundled up. That little platform needs to be flat to be balanced on! 


At the end of the number, just before the music stops, I shower myself in golden glitter, which I pour out of my Aladdin-lamp. Everyone should take a glitter-shower now and then! It feels great! 


Here is a very good - not grainy at all - iPhone picture my sister snapped of me exactly at the moment for the above mentioned glitter-shower! Even though I tried to get most of it off me after my performance, I still woke up with a whole heap of glitter in my bellybutton the next morning...




2 comments:

  1. This actually sounds amazing Miss Meadows and reading about it has me so overwhelmed. You've came so far since starting this blog and I'm just in awe of you when you do things like this now, I'm so glad to hear that it went well, that version of Diamonds Are Forever sounds impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MARVELLOUS!!! The only bad point is that I wasn't in the crowd to throw glitter and woo-hoo at you ;) You looked sensational, love the outfits as well! Sorry about your shoe though, what a pain!! I hope you have a sweet day doll <3 xox

    ReplyDelete

Hyper Smash